Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Review: Mieradome by Kate O'Hegarty

Title: Mieradome (Goodreads /Amazon)
Author: Kate O'Hegarty
Series: Mieradome #1
Publisher: Author House
Release Date: Nov. 20 2010
My Source: Accepted from author

Goodreads Summary

Mieradome pulls the reader into a unique fantasy world of faeries and technology, a different take on the Alice in Wonderland concept. The story revolves around a young girl named Amavia who believes she is a human girl, but slowly comes to find she is a faery in the world of Mieradome. Slowly who Amavia was began to unravel to show the truth; the truth that she just may be the evil they need to destroy. This is the first novel in a series, and gives a glimpse of what is to come for the main character Amavia. Fans of the Harry Potter series and His Dark Materials will definitely enjoy this adventure.



My Review:

Mieradome is set in a facinating faery world. Seriously, this book made me want to be a faery much more than any other faery book I've ever read! The faery world of Mieradome is rich with detail and interesting creatures and places I want to go. Amavia is suddenly thrust into this world and realizes her mother was a faery who had dark history in Mieradome and pulled Amavia away from it.

The plot ideas were great, much like traditional, high fantasy with a good vs. evil theme. I also enjoyed the wide assortment of characters. A lot of them weren't as fully fleshed out as I would've appreciated, though.

The writing made this book a bit hard to get through. It could've used a lot of editing, I think, it was a bit hard to follow sometimes. It wasn't an easy read.

Even so, it was worth it in the end. It's not for everyone (such as those looking for fluffy quick reads) but it's still a rich, enjoyable journey that I found myself getting really into. I recommend this book to fantasy fans, perhaps faery fans, though it was a lot more Lord of the Rings plot-wise than Wicked Lovely or The Iron King.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Cover: 4/5 Pretty Nice!

1 comment:

  1. I had a hard time reading this one because of the confusion-- I think you're right about it needing editing, as it was very hard to follow. But the fantasy was very cool, and I liked the otherworldly feel of the book. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!