Friday, July 2, 2010

Book Review: This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer


My Rating: 3.5/5
It's been a year since a meteor collided with the moon, catastrophically altering the earth's climate. For Miranda Evans, life as she knew it no longer exists. Her friends and neighbors are dead, the landscape is frozen, and food is increasingly scarce. The struggle to survive intensifies when Miranda's father and stepmother arrive with a baby and three strangers in tow. One of the newcomes is Alex Morales, and as Miranda's complicated feelings towards him turn to love, his plans for the future thwart their relationship. Then a devastating tornado hits the town of Howell, and Miranda makes a decision that will change their lives forever.
This book is the last in the Life As We Knew It trilogy. I read the first two and I wasn't extremely impressed, but I decided to go ahead and read the third one anyway. This one was definitly my favorite of the series. It connected the two protagonists of the first two books and combined their stories. I liked how, in this book, you could really feel the tension between a lot of the characters. I also liked since it was Miranda's diary, her thoughts were really realistic and human and a lot of the times funny. This was something I really missed with the second book, The Dead and The Gone, which was centered around Alex. The other books seemed extremely repetitive, and this one slipped into that a little bit, but generally it was pretty new and interesting. Alex got really annoying a few times, but it was still realistic. There was suspense, and at the end it almost gave me shivers. The thing I didn't like the most about this book was the ending. I hope there's a fourth book that will give it more conclusion. It was also really short!
Overall, I would recommend this book, but you have to read the first two to really appreciate it, and those books were a little more dull.
*content warning: none that I remember

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!