Sunday, March 27, 2011

Inheritance Series Book 4: News and Opinions

I'm here to discuss a paticular book series that I've noticed most people either love or hate... the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Information about the last book, aptly titled Inheritance, was just released by Alfred A. Knopf Books For Young Readers.

An excerpt from the press release:

ALFRED A. KNOPF BOOKS FOR YOUNG READERS REVEALS
TITLE AND COVER FOR
FINAL BOOK IN CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI’S
#1 BESTSELLING INHERITANCE CYCLE

BOOK FOUR IN THE INHERITANCE CYCLE WILL GO
ON SALE NOVEMBER 8, 2011

New York, NY (March 23, 2011)—Eagerly awaited by millions around the
world, the triumphant conclusion to Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance cycle will
arrive this fall, it was announced today by Nancy Hinkel, Vice President,
Publishing Director of Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers, an imprint of
Random House Children’s Books (www.randomhouse.com/teens). Following the #1
bestselling novels Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr, the fourth and final book in
the series will be titled INHERITANCE, a fitting designation for the concluding
novel in Paolini’s epic fantasy.

“The burning questions asked by fans
around the world will finally be answered in this last installment,” said
Christopher Paolini. “All will be revealed!”



You might not agree with me, but I am very, very excited for this book! I happen to really enjoy this series. The first and second books were mostly so-so, with a few brilliant moments, but I really enjoyed the third book when I read it two years ago. I've been awaiting the 4th book ever since then. I love any kind of traditional fantasy and I've always thought the dragons were amazing.

Secondly, I've met a lot of people that just seem to really, really hate this series. I understand it might seem like a copy of "Lord of the Rings" or any other traditional fantasy, but aren't they all pretty similar? Yeah, there's magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, and evil ruler... I think this is pretty awesome stuff!

But I do see why people dislike the series. Fans of more contemporary YA books might find some of the length and excessiveness of plot boring (Which it is at times) and the romance shallow (Which it definitely is! It is irritating!). And if fantasy isn't your genre, I wouldn't recommend reading Eragon. I remember begging my sister to read them in junior high (and she's a pretty big reader as well) but she quit halfway through, bored, because she's never liked
fantasy at all.

But I still think the Eragon books present a really facinating world, with flaws in the characters but an interesting plot and as a fantasy lover, I can never get enough of that awesome genre.

Oh, and for a sidenote: A few years ago, after I finished the second book I made a prediction on the color of the third book. I guess it seems pretty obvious that it should be green, but to have my prediction confirmed was pretty awesome. ;)

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Are you a lover or a hater? Are you excited or could you care less?

And while I'm waiting, do you have any good suggestions for other traditional fantasy series? I love to hear about new ones!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I knew it was gonna be a green cover too. I think a lot of readers know who the dragon on the cover belongs to, seems pretty obvious. I really enjoyed the first three but was annoyed by most of the characters at one point or another lol. It took me two attempts to start the first book, but I'm glad my sister pushed me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think the Inheritance Cycle are fantasy lovers' books, and know some people who really dislike them. But I'm also a huge fantasy lover, and I adore them! Seeing this announcement was so exciting, since it feels like we've been waiting on the fourth book for forever!!

    Suggestions for traditional fantasy...hmm... I really love the Dragonlance Chronicles series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. They're kind of intimidating books, because they're somewhat thick and about ten years old, but wow, they are fantastic! All of them really suck you in immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished it, it elicits a weird feeling, somehow dissapointed and yet pleased at the ending, i hope you all enjoy it for yourselves though

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!