If you didn't like the first book in a series (but didn't outright hate it either) is it worth reading the sequel?
I have asked myself this on multiple occasions. Every time I finish a book and only rate it 3/5 stars, I always say I am still excited to read the sequel, because I am. But then I buy the sequel and check it out from the library and find so many other books that I want to read more, so I never get around to reading that sequel. I feel like I'm wasting time that could be spend reading something much for valuable and better.
The idea of First Come, Second Served was to narrow our TBR pile of sequels. I only put sequels on my list that I think I'm genuinely excited to read, but others I didn't include because I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read the sequel in the first place. It got me thinking, and this post was born.
If the first book isn't very good, can the sequel still be amazing? I really have yet to come across any like this, but please share with me. I'm so divided on this subject right now, I don't know if it's worth my time to pick up sequels I'm not expecting much from.
Recently, I have come across a few sequels that I'm not sure if I should pick up. If you love any of these books, let me know so I should read them.
Should I read any of these:
Torment by Lauren Kate
- See my review of Fallen
- Besides another awesome cover, I'm not sure if there's anything in this book making it better than the first, and I don't really want to take the time to go through another huge book.
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
- See my review of Shiver
- Before you start hating me- listen!!! I know so many people who love Linger and Shiver. So that's why I'm really going to give Linger a chance. I even liked Shiver, a lot. I'm currently reading Linger, but I've been reading it for a week and a half now, and I am still on page 50. Somehow I keep finding myself reading other books and wondering if Linger is worth it...
- I read Wicked Lovely a long time ago, way before I had a blog. Looking back, I probably would've rated it a 3/5.
- I checked this out from the library probably 3 times now but have never read it before it was due. I still really want to read it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Sequels I will most likely never read:
Blue Moon by Alyson Noel
- Ehh... Evermore is not a book I would ever want to read again. Nothing original at all and I couldn't stand the characters.
Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
- See my review of Leviathan
- I've seen a bunch of great reviews for Leviathan, but once again, it just wasn't for me, so I'm not interested in the sequel, though in this case I believe it will probably be better than the first.