Sunday, January 2, 2011

Book Review: Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz

Title: Revelations
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Series: Blue Bloods #3
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: October 28 2008
My Source: Library
Other Books In Series:
Blue Bloods
Masquerade


My Rating: 4/5






Goodreads Summary:

Have you ever wondered what secrets lurk behind the closed doors of New York City's wealthiest families? They're powerful, they're famous... they're undead.
Schuyler Van Alen's blood legacy has just been called into question--is the young vampire in fact a Blue Blood, or is it the sinister Silver Blood that runs through her veins? As controversy swirls, Schuyler is left stranded in the Force household, trapped under the same roof as her cunning nemesis, Mimi Force, and her forbidden crush, Jack Force.

When one of the Gates of Hell is breached by Silver Bloods in Rio de Janeiro, however, the Blue Bloods will need Schuyler on their side. The stakes are high; the battle is bloody; and through it all, Carnavale rages on. And in the end, one vampire's secret identity will be exposed in a revelation that shocks everyone.



My Review:

The third book in the Blue Bloods series, Revelations follows the same pattern as the books in the previous series. Very rich New York vampires, trying to make sense of the Silver Blood crisis that's threatening to destroy them all.

In previous reviews I mentioned getting irritated with the flat characters. Even though it still bothers me, I've seen some change in them. Previously, I thought Bliss had no personality because in the first book she was just Mimi's sidekick who had an unhealthy and random obsession with Dylan. But now I think she's acutally becoming her own character, and she's not nearly as boring to read about. So in that sense, this book was getting better.

The POV is the same as previous books- 3rd person, alternating between Schuyler, Bliss, and Mimi- but documents are randomly thrown in there, transcripts of random conversations that took place during other characters during Masquerade that explain the background of the plot twists in the previous book. I really like this, how the resolution of the plot of the previous book is well explained, with some questions still left open.

I've mentioned before this series isn't deep or extremely well written, but it's fun and I couldn't enjoy reading it more. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an entertaining vampire plot, who just wants to read something for fun. That's what it is to me and I really enjoy reading it.

I read Revelations immediately following Masquerade, the second book in the series. Now I'm dying to get my hands on the fourth book. It's just plain addicting. This book gets 4/5 stars and I'd recommend it if you liked the previous books and are looking for a fun read without a whole ton of substance (but not without any).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!