Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: The Van Alen Legacy

Title: The Van Alen Legacy
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Series: Blue Bloods #4
Publisher: Disney/Hyperion
Release Date: October 6, 2009
My Source: Library
Other Books In Series:
Blue Bloods
Masquerade
Revelations

Warning: May contain mild spoilers for those who haven't read the books 1-3 of the series.





Goodreads Summary:

With the stunning revelation surrounding Bliss's true identity comes the growing threat of the sinister Silver Bloods. Once left to live the glamorous life in New York City, the Blue Bloods now find themselves in an epic battle for survival. Not to worry, love is still in the air for the young vampires of the Upper East Side. Or is it? Jack and Schuyler are over. Oliver's brokenhearted. And only the cunning Mimi seems to be happily engaged.

Young, fanged, and fabulous, Melissa de la Cruz's vampires unite in this highly anticipated fourth installment of the Blue Bloods series.



My Review:
The fourth book in the addicting Blue Bloods series, The Van Alen Legacy continues in the format of it's predecessors, in telling the story switching between 3 teenage vampire girls- Schuyler, Bliss, and Mimi. It takes place a year after the 3rd book, a time gap which makes the beginning hard to get into. Schuyler and her best friend Oliver have been on the run from the Conclave for over a year. Bliss can't remember much of the past year- she's being possessed and used by a mysterious Visitor who inhabits her mind. And Mimi has been traveling the world with Kingsley to investigate what happened in Rio.

The first half of this book felt like a let down to me- probably because of the year that passed, it was hard to get back into the characters. It was just so slow moving. Bliss, Schuyler, and Mimi were all in completely different parts of the world on different missions. It took me awhile to read through this part.

It picked up once all the characters returned to their home of New York City. It became addicting and interesting. The plot was as crazy good as ever again, and tension of the Silver Bloods, the sinister evil vampires who are trying to pretty much destory the world, was there again. The plot was so intrinsic that it was a little difficult to follow at times. I'm still not sure if I got it all, because I read too quickly sometimes. So much is going on though, and that's a good thing.

My new favorite character is Mimi- her story is easily the most interesting and I love her romantic relationships with a certain person I won't mention, I don't want to give anything away! Schuyler is torn between her best friend Oliver and her forbidden love Jack, and I felt SO bad for Oliver the whole time. I really hope something good happens to him at the end of the series.

This book is getting a slightly lower rating than the previous two because the first half was so much less entertaining than the previous books, but thankfully it picked up and turned out much better by the second half.

Out of all the vampire series I've read, I think plot-wise Blue Bloods is definitely the winner. I'll definitely be reading more of this series, besides the plot, I need to see Mimi end up with the person I really, really, really think she's going to. ;)


3.5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I've only read the first two books in the Blue Bloods series, but they were pretty great. I've forgotten a lot about the characters, but I remember Mimi! She was one of those love-to-hate-yet-love characters for me, so now I'm intrigued to read the next few books find who she ends up with and what happens to her. Great review, Ava. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kat I really hated Mimi in the first book, but now she's changed into one of those characters I love-to-hate, so that's why I love reading about her, haha! Good way to put it. You should definitely read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Populazzi was excellent! I love reading books like that. It was cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!