Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Review: Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott

Title: Something, Maybe
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Series: None
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: March 24, 2009
My Source: Library



Goodreads Summary:

Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she's got them all beat.

Her dad made a fortune showcasing photos of pretty girls and his party lifestyle all over the Internet, and her mom was once one of her dad's 'girlfriends' and is now the star of her own website.

After getting the wrong kind of attention for way too long, Hannah has mastered the art of staying under the radar . . . and that's just how she likes it. Of course, that doesn't help her get noticed by her crush. Hannah's sure that gorgeous, sensitive Josh is her soul mate. But trying to get him to notice her; wondering why she suddenly can't stop thinking about another guy, Finn; and dealing with her parents make Hannah feel like she's going crazy. Yet she's determined to make things work out the way she wants only what she wants may not be what she needs. . . .
Once again, Elizabeth Scott has created a world so painfully funny and a cast of characters so heartbreakingly real that you'll love being a part of it from unexpected start to triumphant finish.



My Review:

I've read one other book by Elizabeth Scott, Living Dead Girl. Needless to say, that book and Something, Maybe couldn't be more different. While I loved and was terrified by Living Dead Girl, I knew Something, Maybe was a completely different genre and style. So I was nervous and excited to read more by Elizabeth Scott. I hate to say, I don't think this nearly lived up to her previous book, though it still had the some of the same awesome writing stuff.

Hannah, for having such non-normal parents as can be, is a very real character. She goes through quite a transformation in the course of the book, and it was great to watch. Unfortunately, I was really annoyed with her character for the first half of the book, because it really felt like she wasn't opening her eyes to stuff that should be obvious all around her. By the end, I liked her a lot more, but even then, she still annoys me a bit. I get that she was the worst dad in the world and a mother who loves her but is very non-traditional or motherly, but that doesn't mean she has to be so closed off to looking pretty, having friends at school, or being noticed by anybody. I get that she changed over the course of the book, but it really drove me crazy in the beginning.

Josh is the guy for 3/4 of the book Hannah calls her "soul mate". Yeah, this annoyed me too, when there was another guy (Finn) who was actually her friend and actually obviously liked her, it just took the whole book for her to see it. The love triangle was extremely predictable, even though there was one minor twist towards the end, it was easy to see coming.

But Finn, oh how I loved Finn. Even though so much of this book drove me crazy, I really, really, really love him. He was simply the perfect guy- that's all there was to it. But this made me dislike Hannah even more- he was so perfect for Hannah but she never noticed him throughout the whole book, she was just focused on Josh for no reason! But the end was very, very cute.

The plot about her father, Jackson James, was predictable too. I get why she hated him, but I guess I felt like nothing really happened there, either. She didn't really learn anything new about him by the end.

Well, this book was pretty short and a very easy read. It wasn't boring, just kind of annoying. I still liked it, but nothing more than that, and probably only because of Finn. I think I'm going against the grain with my semi-dislike. A lot of people loved this book a lot more than I did. I would recommend it for contemporary teen romance fans (a genre I unfortunately rarely read anyway).



3 out of 5 stars

Cover: 4/5 Simple, but pretty! Love the colors.


2 comments:

  1. I have this one sitting on my TBR pile. Thanks for the review. I need to get cracking on that pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read many contemporary romances either. This one sounds like it could be entertaining-- sorry to hear that it was so predictable. But I might give it a go someday anyway, just because the premise sounds fun. :) Great review, Ava.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!