Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday: Between Shades of Gray

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

Between Shades of Gray (Goodreads/Amazon) by Ruta Sepetys

This book releases on March 22, 2011.

Goodreads Summary:
Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions.

Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously—and at great risk—documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.

Why I'm Anticipating:
Historical fiction... World War II... Debut Author... Yes, Please! I saw this book while browsing through the 2011 Debut Author list, and now I'm super excited to read it. Looks awesome.

3 comments:

  1. This certainly sounds very interesting. Not my kind of read but I'd love to read your review once you've read it :).

    Sandy
    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really powerful. I usually don't read historical fiction, but am curious to see your review once you have read it.
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should get back to WWII historical fiction - I love it! And this one sounds beautiful and brave. Great pick!

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW post here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!