Monday, October 4, 2010

Book Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: Feburary 1 2010
My Source: Library
My Rating: 4/5

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart.

A girl who never really seemed to fit in. Who was missing parents mysteriously. Then, around her sixteenth birthday, she starts to discover that her past is full of dark secrets that involve some kind of paranormal creatures, and suddenly everything she knows about her world is being turned upside down. She has to go on a quest to save somebody, and along the way she meets a handsome dark male character who she falls in love with, but can't be with.

This summary is the cookie cutter outline for a lot of young adult paranormal romance books. It's standard, and I've seen it plenty of times. Why do we keep reading (and loving!) books with this same outline? It's simply a time-tested good storyline. The Iron King was extremely predictable, but it was still a great read. Sometimes books don't have to be too unique to be entertaining.

The Iron King was my second book I've read entirely about the Fey, but the first I read (Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr) I read such a long time ago that the Fey seemed pretty new and facinating to me, even though I've seen them in brief appearances in other books, such as Paranormalcy and City of Bones. The fable elements were pretty standard- Winter and Summer Court, Shakespearean characters.

Meghan was nowhere near my favorite protaganist. She wasn't annoying, but she wasn't interesting either. It seemed like she was just so standard, exactly what I'd expect from this kind of book. There was nothing really there to make me like her, and she never had any quirky thoughts I could relate to. Prince Ash wasn't an extremely deep character either, but I still loved his mysteriousness and I was definitely rooting for him from the beginning.

What made me love this book, with it's flaws? I'm not quite sure. Rating this book was hard because I really liked it, but it still had it's share of dullness. The pacing was very good and I felt the story and plot was well drawn out and well written, especially compared to some other books I've read. It was an entertaining fantasy with faery myths and decent protagonists. I enjoyed The Iron King, and I've heard great things about the next book, The Iron Daughter, so I'm excited to read that one next!

Buy from Amazon


Author Info: Website/Blog

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to let you know that there is an award waiting for you on my blog!

    http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-weekend-for-awards.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! I read every single one and try to reply, either on your blog or another comment! They make my day!

As of 1/17/11, Book Infinity is an awards-free blog. My schedule is busy as could be, and I don't have time to follow all the rules to pass them on. But I really do appreciate the thought, thanks so much for thinking about me!